Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Power updates

It never ceases to amaze me how stoked I can get on the little things in life. Sunday I cleaned my bikes. I'm not hyper-vigilant about cleaning my bikes, but it seems to be the one thing that gets me fired up to go ride. The drive trains were cleaned, rubbed, wiped down, rubbed again, then lubed so each link shined like a pearl. I spun the cranks around amazed at the lack of sound and the ease with which they spun. Have you ever noticed that when your car gets washed it just seems to run that much better as if its thanking you. My bikes do the same for me. They must have a soul.

My training is turning a slight corner from a faded peak for IB sprint to full on cycling mode for the second time this year. I had some good sessions last week and really started to get fired up on my run and swim. I think I had a decent peak regardless of whether or not I raced.
What is on tap now is the Fiesta Island Time Trial. In the past this has been a training tool and I've never had a specific focus to do well in that one event. It's just been a test.

This effort will be the same but I'll be using this data to establish my Power zones and raise the bar for my off-season cycling so I want to go hard and do well. I pretty much get my ass handed to me when I go against the sticks that show up for these races, once you may think your good you find out your not that good. This should be no different as the Open men are racing against Masters and Juniors for the State Championships. I know where I stand and what would be a good effort for me. I'd like to average 265-270W which should put me pretty close to the sub 30 minute mark for the 20k. That is if conditions shape up and we get some lighter winds and reduced humidity. My PR for this race was 31:13 and 250W average.

Yesterday I had a 20 minute field test at Fiesta Island. I was supposed to do it Wednesday but I couldn't get out til noon and it was windy 12-15. That's not exactly conditions I want to repeat, so I had a window thurs. at sunrise~6:15am and the conditions were perfect. NW breeze at 3-5
72 degrees RH~65-70%. Warm up was 15 min@ 150-175W 1x5minutes race pace, 5x1 minute @ 275-280, all 1:1 RI. 5 minutes easy then quick stretch and TT start. It's amazing what the warmup can do just reflecting on how hard the first 5 minute WU effort felt. In contrast I was flying out of the start and finally settled in around 280W. My plan was to do the first lap at expected average~280, then let it rip. I began realizing quickly I went to hard starting lap 2, not much rip letting going on. Looking back the first 5 minutes was @ 298 W. Not ideal but at least power didn't drop more than 15%. I averaged 25.1 mph on the first 10 minutes, 24.6 for the whole effort on training wheels @ 100psi, aero helmet.

Total 20 minute test DATA:
326kj

Average Watts: 271

Average Speed: 24.6 mph

Max Speed: 28.5

Average Cadence:99 rpm

HR avg: 165
HR max: 174

FTP: 257W

Looking at max HR data I probably could have pushed a little harder as I've seen 180 during a 20k effort.

The good news is that I'm right on track to have a go at sub-30 minute race. It'll be tight but that's what will keep me focused. That's nice but I know now what my FTP is for future workouts. Funny thing is is that's pretty close to what I've been using for LT just using the PTap on most of my workouts. You just get a pretty good sense. I'm just glad to get the Field test overwith as they are tough. Some great rides planned for the weekend.

No comments: