Sunday, December 9, 2007

Power update (not measured in watts)

Finally getting a break to post a meaningful update on the training. This last week has been more significant because there was some problems. The week prior went relatively smoothly with some easy runs, swim golf, capped off with a great Run clinic with Jim on Saturday and a Muddy 2:30 MTB with James on Sunday.

Run clinic.
This was a new take on the run clinic this time. I learned a lot of new stuff regarding dynamic warmup and drills. I was also really happy to get some tape of me running. Jim filmed us and broke it down one by one afterwards. Things checked out pretty well but we identified two good areas I can easily work on.

1. MORE LEAN
2. Keep elbows more in front to eliminate tension in the upper back. This will probably allow
my spine to stay more in line and make it easier to accomplish item 1.

Its also good to have some baseline footage at this early point in training. Thanks Jim.
Neuromuscular Pathways....On!

Last Week 12.02-12.09

Monday.
Off

Tuesday.
I had a swim and a run on the schedule.
Run was 30 minutes easy and got it out of the way at sunrise. I woke up not feeling so good, but made it through the run. By the time I got home that little queeziness felt like I got punched in the stomach. The rest is far to graphic. Begins with D ends with A and lasted for two days. I missed an important workout on Tues. which was the 1000m time trial in the pool to figure out T-pace. I was out until Friday when I was finally "confident" enough to get on the bike.

Friday.
I had a two hour ride scheduled and felt more comfortable riding on the trainer close to home.
I ended up doing 60 min's on the trainer including some SLD's and some solid Z2 steady. I had to make something out of nothing and knew the SLD's that I missed on Wed. needed to be done.

Saturday.
Finally feeling 100% I headed out for a 60 min run Z1-2. I felt the best I've felt on a run in a long time. Not that my pace was smoking in relation to HR...because it wasn't, I felt this way because my legs felt really strong. I attribute this to being pretty consistent with strength training. I've been getting in one to two sessions with the second usually happening after a run.
There's some bleachers at the Little League park next to my house. What I'll usually get in is some dynamic lunges, A-skips, Step-ups on the bleachers and bleacher Jumps. About two sets of two minutes each. Usually to fatigue not failure. (I'm going to start counting these)

Sunday.
Ride 3:00 Z1-2
Freebased my Base training.

I was happy to see that it was clear when I woke up because three hours in the cold rain makes for a long ride. I was happy to get out riding again with JW. His work ethic is second to none and Lord knows it pays to hang with successful people. The intentions of this ride went by the wayside as we ended up in rolling/hilly territory right off the bat. We had talked about riding flat up to Pendleton but got sidetracked. We ended up doing a pretty fun improvised loop and kept it pretty close to zones until I asked James where the ten minute hill was that he does his intervals. Next thing I know, we're halfway up with the wind in our face. I did my best to keep it under 230 watts and rode it like a chick (sorry girls). This was a beast of a hill and great for future workouts. At least I didn't attack it. I felt a little guilty for breaking the workout but the stoked feeling I had after a fun ride made it go away pretty quick. I'll do better next time.

At this point I'm working on my goals for the season. This includes race goals as well as training goals. I've also got my race schedule figured out and will post this after it's confirmed with Jim after our next phone meeting tonight.

1 comment:

jameson said...

sorry for the unexpected turn up "my hill"... let me know when you want to head out there and really lay down the watts! hopefully you can get out on the mtb with us on Saturday.