Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Catching up.

The last week of training was great. It was a relatively light week at only 8 hours (8:45 planned I'll explain in a bit) and focused on aerobic development in all three sports, strength training core strength and swim skills/technique. This week has been pretty much the same but with a little more volume in the 13 hour range. It has taken me a little while to get in the groove of absorbing some significant strength training in the context of a six day training week (7 days this week).

Since so much time seems to go by between posts it's pointless to review each workout but will give just an overview of my challenges and successes as they relate to each discipline.

Swim.
I can't say enough about my impovement in the water. Some simple changes have allowed me to feel greater balance, length and relaxation in the water. This has been especially important during longer aerobic swims which allows me to focus on stroke rather than burning lungs.
Swimming in truly aerobic zones has been a challenge in the past. I notice that strength training has really helped out my swim as well. It seems like I'm able to produce a lot more power during the pull phase without fatiguing any earlier, even showing up a little sore. The swimming has been very mixed with long swims up to 35 minute and some shorter 30x25 sets all technically oriented. stoked because I know the speed will come with fitness and tuning but I'm at least a lot more comfortable in the water.

Bike.
Old friend. We've been spending a lot of time on the trainer, especially last Saturday. My longest trainer session ever at 2:00 hrs. I've heard rumors of guys going 4 hours. Nuts. It was the rainiest weekend since march 07. The ride was supposed to be 2:30 but couldn't take it any longer, hence the missing time from weekly plan. It's not that fatigue sets in, though it does a little, its just that my ass starts killing, despite a double butter up on the best chamois I've found. On the road it's like 4 hours to get to that point, on the trainer 1:30. I still swear by the trainer for safety(night rides) . focus. pedal stroke and consistency. I still haven't figured out why 175W feels like 200W on the road but I'm able to get in some steady zone riding and monitor HR vs. Watts. I did miss a 1:30 session this week but that's the breaks. At least it's not my limiter. 3 hour ride on tap tomorrow.

Some cool news here also. I'm having a crack at a road race on Feb 2 in Boulevard, CA. Jim gave me the heads up on this one. James and Jim are both in so at least there will be a couple familiar faces out there. It's on. 45 miles (2 laps) either going up or going down. should be fun since I've wanted to get into my first legit cycling race for a while now. Should be a huge learning experience. Dunno if I'm going to do the mission trails 15k on sunday like some locos. Hopefully all the base and weight training will translate into Watts on race day, but a solid workout nonetheless.

Run.
Coming along. Strength training has left my hamstrings and quads a little sore for most runs but at least the Z1 only runs have been relatively easy. Yesterday was a 50 min run with the last 45 mins at 8:55 pace w/avg HR at 137. Thats down from ~9:00-9:15 for runs less than 60 min. for zone 1. so that's nice. Trusting the training and resisting the temptation to lean too far into these shorter runs.

Strength.
This is the secret weapon for the season (and disciplined aerobic base training). I've dabbled in seasons prior but mostly with pilates and a little circuit training. I've got a periodized plan from Jim and am going to stick to it as well as possible. Like I mentioned I'm already feeling some greater resilience on the run as well as swimming much easier. I've added some shoulder stuff to the plan just to keep em injury free but the leg and core will be key as the training progresses.
I've been weighing in at 166 which is 2 pounds heavy but I figure that's inevitable with some increased muscle and temporary inlamation and fluid retention as the nutrition has been going well. speaking of. My gym just got these new stationary bikes that I ride to warm up and cool down are killer Keiser.com. Fully adjustable magnetic trainer with power Hr and cadence. Comfortable with a nice flyweel. Pretty happy about the upgrade from the LifeCycle.

Nutrition.
This aspect has never been too much of a challenge. I've added a few new concepts as there is always room for improvement. More natural protein from fish and chicken. I used to be a quasi-veg with some scoops of egg white protein., but now I'm getting in more healthy natural protein everyday. Still a little heavy on the grains/pasta but mostly timed post workout. Like granola concoction will full scoop of JayRobb berries and banana. Yams are big. Steamed veggies. (what my daughter eats) and spinach salad. Healthy fats are in with a great supply of boutique olive oils that came in over Christmas. Here's the shocker. CLO. Cod Liver Oil. Two teaspoons a day working as an anti inflamatory, bolstering immunity and stabilizing mood health for cranky athletes and Lord knows what else. I definitely feel less cracks snaps and pops and am sleeping better. Loaded with DHA and EPA this stuff is the shit. Just don't take it before a workout. Burp!
One other thing that is working for me is breaking out the juicer. Carrot Apple Parsley Beet Ginger and Lemon. Raw goodness that's straight from the source. I definitely have more noticeable sustained energy when I'm on that stuff but just a little high in fiber for taking in too close to a workout.
I've switched my recovery to box drinks. Maybe not the best as they are manufactured food, but I keep em in the car and always have something post workout vs. trying to mix something on the fly or chocomilk with very little vitamins and added aminos. I like PowerBar recovery or EAS myoplex lite or regular depending on the intensity of the workout. less intensity/strenght training> Myoplex lite. otherwise its PowerBar recovery. this plus an extra dose of 2000mg vitamin C (antioxidant) and full teaspoon of glutamine are all working to keep me healthy at this point.

Everything is on track and am looking forward to doing some form of racing soon!

2 comments:

jameson said...

It looks like things are going pretty well! You know want to double up with the road race and trail run.... c'mon!

Matt said...

Dukie,
it was killer.
let's do a pre-mission gorge run.