Thursday, January 24, 2008

Duty Calls.


Yep you guessed it. I have the honor to serve my country and community in jury duty. epic.

Time to catch up on some training talk. I started out this week I normally do with a goal of completing all the workouts as planned with 100% committment and focus. I'm sitting in the jury "lounge" wondering how this week is going to turn out. I have swim and strength training scheduled for sometime today and going over possible scenarios on how to make it happen when so much of the rest of the day/week is unknown. It's always a struggle when you have to balance effective time management with patience and flexibility, but this is the general subtitle of the blog, balancing it all, when it's always out of balance. Never 50/50 more like 60/40. I guess it resembles balance when I'm safe at home with my family, putting my daughter to bed, healthy and positive with at least 90% of my training hours under my belt. Whole.

So far this week has been great hitting all the workouts, with good energy and motivated. I can't tell how many times in the past getting to or starting a workout requires more internal energy and strength than actually completing the workout. I've taught myself to stop thinking and just react. It's become critical to turn this on like a switch when so much of my work requires me to think critically understanding all the objectives, analysis and decision making that promotes good design.

Monday.
Strength training. 1:15
Still in AA phase strength. this is the second week in a row where there have been no scheduled rest days. Mondays have traditionally done that job. Hanging in there surprisingly well.

Tuesday.
short swim. :30
20 minute straight swim MS felt awesome. Surprisingly I'm swimming very well despite being sore while on the deck. I suppose swimming can be somewhat therapeutic in the sense that the muscles are being constantly elongated and the water acts as some kind of circulatory massage. Easily swam 1100m w/ 20-21 S/50m one arm consistent even as pace was building.

run. :40 zone 1
straight after the swim HR was a little higher than normal 9:15 pace HR 141. running on soft surface definitely slows the pace down also.

Wednesday.
strides. :40
Hit 30 cycles in :18 and 3:45 pace max. progress.
drills and skips
trainer. 1:00
Z1-2 with some pedalling drills. PE relatively low.

It's now 11:30 and still haven't been called. getting really tired sitting around. fighting off the urge to 'buck up with a coffee. Newton was right about a body at rest.

The rest of the week looks really exciting with some field testing coming up on saturday and sunday. Saturday I'll head to the pool and do 10x100's and then a tempo HR test at the track after some good recovery. sunday is a 20 min climb TT that I'll do on the MTB. weather has been an issue but i think that Black Mountain will still be okay if it's wet. Good drainage and traction unless it's pouring. Wait and see. This will be the first bout of intensity in some time, at least I'll be a little more rested with after a lighter week. It'll be nice to get in some suffering on the bike in preparation for BLVD.
...........................................................................................................................................................................

Back from "lunch break". Found out we had a two hour lunch and bolted to the pool. Stoked to just barely get in my :50 workout this early in the day. I hate swimming in the late afternoon.
This session was good and necessary as I'm not used to sitting around for that long. I swam 3 rounds of 4x50's. counting the strokes plus time I swam them all at or close to 85 I think two 83's and a couple 84's. Stroke count was identical at 40 each time. Pace was well under T pace? but felt pretty comfortable and consistent throughout. It just felt good.

That's about it for now, just got to get prepared for the weekends bouts as it should take a lot out of me mentally, not to mention carving out the timeslots but that's usually the same story every weekend. Mahalo.

1 comment:

jameson said...

the fact that you are consistent and as focused as you are is incredible... with the wife, kid, and job. it makes my what i do seem pretty easy. the balance may not be 50/50 but you've got the 60/40 pretty dialed in!

It's on next weekend!!!