Monday, March 31, 2008

Smuggling fitness.

In truth are the rhythms of life, ups and downs, ins and outs. Keep moving forward with resolute intentions and "progress" shall be made (I tell myself). The past few weeks have been good for me, streaming with self discovery and elective workouts. The punched in the stomach feeling like I had somehow let myself down re last post, has been replaced with excitement surrounding a more low profile approach, trying to smuggle as much fitness as I can.

It involves a reduced volume/ high intensity training plan and a small handful of short duration. I spoke to Jim at some length about executing a 6-8 hour/ week TP and some general guidelines surrounding fitness maintenance that might allow stabbing at a race with 3-4 weeks notice. It looks like this.

6 day training week 3 week microcycle (sport focus) within a 6 week block:
.
3_2_1
.
3 days focus sport (2 interval, 1 long)
.
2 "on-deck" sport (1 interval, 1 long)
.
1 day (interval)
.
*plus all the strength training I can fit in.

It sometimes sounds like a cockamamey scheme, but it should work.
I'm going to try to make as many of the workouts with a group to help with motivation and fun factor. The best part of this type of plan is that it's "sustainable"(buzz).
.
Training has been mostly about having fun, and yes Vo2 max intervals are fun, with plenty of cycling and undocumented runs. I've been averaging over 100 miles on the bike for the past two weeks and I'm feeling strong and fresh. I got out on the MTB with the kid on Sunday and built on some local knowledge in Penasquitos Canyon.

On the radar.

Time trialing again this sunday. I don't know what it is about these races, but I've always been a speed junky, techno weenie, and suffering on the bike. They are really well run with good fans and a low key atmosphere. My start time is late, which is good for my warmup style. It'd be nice to lay down another PR, but I'm mainly looking for the data for the next 4 weeks of training.


ready to blow.

Keeping with the cycling focus I'll be heading up to the TCSD Pine Valley Duathlon on the 20th.
This race features a killer climb that I know pretty well with a less attractive two lap hill run. It's draft legal on the bike and want to implement some strong strategy to work with a lead group and establish a good gap then motor the descent into transition.

PV DU profile


Then on May 4th taking to the bike once again in the San Luis Rey Road Race. I'm really looking forward to this race having learned alot from BLVD. I will be bringing more bike fitness and a go for it attitude.

I've got one more card to play but will talk about that later.

3 comments:

ramon said...

Very cool that your getting back into the swing of things. I can imagine you having more fun of it with your new workout plan. "Get after it" with your TT on Sunday. Sounds like your riding strong and steady, I'll be looking for those results :)

jameson said...

Drop the hammer on sunday!!!

...let's get back out to pq soon.

Matt said...

Dukie -

Thanks for feedback. First up, 21k but I'm thinking about going long.

Ang said we got an invite to a shower . . .but Ang is going to be at a conference that weekend. It's not meant to be, man!

Keep grinding!