Monday, March 3, 2008

No blood from a turnip.

It's amazing how much my life is growing in all directions right now. I'm expecting a son in June, my daughter is developing at seemingly supernatural rates, my work is finding fresh pressure with the development of a new business model, all along with some solid investment endeavors. Pretty dynamic stuff that leaves me very little time and energy for the one thing (disciplined training) that waters this victory garden that is my life. Pretty gnarly paradox. How this relates to my training is fairly simple. My training is full of compromises. Not only in quantity but also quality. Though life is full of compromises it is not a place that I am comfortable.


This is where I'm headed. The month of March is my last month of focused training at the current level. I've made arrangements to take time off from being a coached athlete. My racing goals reach no further than the next 30 days. This is not to say I won't toe the line after that, I just don't have the time and energy capacity right now to meet my previous expectations. It's a pretty shitty feeling pulling away from your well intentended goals, but what I have to realize is that you can't keep doing the same thing when it's not working and expect a different result. There is no more blood. Adaptation is key and for me that is a more fluid approach to my fitness and racing goals. I've been afraid to make such a hasty decision and that's why I've allowed a grace period allowing time for some reevaluation. I can still have an omelette instead of waffles. Of course, I've discussed this at some length with Jim. He was kind enough to empathize but more importantly shared how difficult this sport can be off the course, especially when loved ones are involved. In such an introverted sport I think we rarely share the flares, just crashes and PR's. Honesty is righteous.

My life may not change at all but it is the perception of pursuing a life that is balanced, perhaps not so narrowly focused (as it can become) that will promote my personal success. Back off, reevaluate and hammer when the time is right.

I've still got a full month ahead of training and racing. Sunday is a 20k TT and the following weekend is St. Pattys 10k. My plan is to stay focused on the bike and run but still try to get in two swims a week. Swimming will begrudgingly be the first to go. I'm also going to go into the races a little more rested to try to make a point and take full advantage of my current fitness. God forbid I nail some PR's and it lights a fire in my belly. I can deal with that....later.

The state of my training at this point is actually not as bad as it appears. I've had two weeks of some anaerobic endurance and LT work, same hours as base phase just harder, a lot harder.
5x3 mins sub 5k and 5x3 min at max sustainable wattage have been taxing me down big time. Not to mention a shocking 90 minute tempo run. I welcome the efforts, but just not recovering that well with added stress and lack of sleep. I did have a hard and fun MTB ride on sunday and smashed a record climb on Black Mountain twice, within 10 seconds of each other, which is nice. Local weather has been keeping me on the roads and on the trainer so getting outside away from cars was a premium. I want to spend more time on the Epic.

1 comment:

jameson said...

"I want to spend more time on the Epic"... just let me know when and where....