Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ocean swim




Just got back from the Shores (La Jolla), for another epic ocean swim. There are very few times that I'm unhappy with these swims. It's not that I always feel great about my swimming, but there is just something intangible about the ocean. Maybe it's a primal rush like the Masai might get when returning from a hunt and not getting eaten by a lion. Maybe not.

Today was a little bumpy. It took extra concentration to keep my head down and feet up while driving some oncoming chop. I also worked on spending more time on my right side and not pulling to soon and quick with the left arm. We swam to the quarter mile buoy from the kayak launch. 38 minutes total we figured about 1.5 miles round trip. On the way up, I was just trying to get warmed up and relax, while working on distance per stroke. On the way back I tried to heat up the cadence a little swimming mostly front quadrant, finishing the stroke well in front of the hips. I was trying to really work on feeling the pressure on my forearms and heel of my palm rather than fingertips. I think I normally spend a lot of energy trying to hold every ounce of water in my hand. I still need to find that magic balance of cadence to DPS, but at least I'm gaining more skill and awareness.

I'm stoked to have a small group of guys, Ramon and James who are always up for these workouts. Good swimmers, good attitude and on time. what's better than that?




1 comment:

Jim Vance said...

To find that balance between cadence and DPS, you have experiment between the two. You will find the sweet spot. But remember, a faster pull IS NOT a better pull. A better pull is a better pull.