Thursday, March 29, 2007

Trail run


This week has been relatively light training. Jim usually has me training 2x a day, swimming in the morning 4x per week. I notice that training once a day really allows me to focus on each workout and plan some solid recovery. I'm feeling very good right now despite a little soreness in my left foot. Yesterday I had a 60 minute hilly run in zones 1-4. I chose to check out a new training spot in Florida canyon with really varied terrain including a lot of somewhat technical trails. This type of varied terrain is great for strength and forces me to absorb brief anaerobic efforts. I also want to get some race specific training in for Wildflower and XTERRA west. I practiced finding clean lines and relaxing through short downhills to avoid braking. I tried to stay as efficient as possible, focusing on cadence, on long hills while powering through short ones, just to test and build strength. I ran a two x loop course with short and long climbs, running the second loop a little harder. HR was mostly zone 3-4 162 bpm avg. 178 max. One thing I need to work on is running hard through the top of hills, absorbing the intensity of the climb.
I will be tracking my weight through these next 5-6 weeks to get down to a solid race weight.
weight is not a problem for me, but I want to take advantage of any weight savings I can to get through some hilly race courses coming up. The most I weighed this year was 171.
Right now I'm 164 and 6.4% fat. My goal is to race around 157, or lower. Focusing on good solid protein/ healthy carbs and Spinach salad and homemade soups for dinner should do the trick.
Off to swim at the shores with James and Ramon. Beautiful day with a SOSA (sort of santa ana)
brewing. Water conditions should be good.

No comments: