Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Off the dime.


This has been something I've been trying to do for about 3 months now. I work in AutoCAD for work and all that time on the computer makes it a bit daunting to actually do something more than cruise the www, after staring at lines on a screen all day. Finally i'll scribble something about what's going on in the final 5 weeks leading up Wildflower Oly the first A race this season. after that it's XTERRA west and San Diego International. I've been spending the past six months really trying to work on technique. I try to make up for lack of experience with concentration on technique. kinisthetic awareness is a daily focus. This has really helped me in all three sports, most dramatically in swimming. Also in running. I'm a relatively slow runner, but I'm going a lot faster and harder than previous years. 2007 1:36:38 half marathon a 12 minute better of my previous PR at Carlsbad Half Marathon. But recently, thanks to my coach, I've learned that mental focus is also an important part of technique. This is my challenge especially later in a race or hard workout. Cycling comes relatively easy for me, at least I see bigger gains for relatively less training, but here again focus on pedal stroke and technique have been the keys for my limited success.

As I sharpen my fitness for the next month or so I want to continue with strengthening the run. I'm running okay off the bike but just not fast or hard enough. I have been getting in a lot of (cold) open water swims this winter training with my boys who are doing California 70.3 in Oceanside. Open water is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. I think it builds strength pulling through salt water and staying balanced in choppy conditions. It's also great for endurance. I'll be doing at least half my swims in the ocean. I've also got a nice weekend training camp coming up in the mountains April 20. I plan on doing a lot of climbing on the bikes as well as some technical trail running. I will hopefully do a few more training races as well. Calsbad 5000 is sunday. I want to run sub 20:00. sometime this year. I ran this in 21:17 last year we'll see.


No comments: