Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Feeling Better

There's a lot to be said for some good quality recovery. (And I've been hearing it a lot lately) Either sickness, injury or both in my case gives you time to rest, reflect and relax. I was stoked to get in a couple of decent trainer rides this past week and also some good hammock time up in the mountains for Memorial Day. My cold is gone and my ribs are feeling about 75% of normal, which is a huge improvement over like 50% 2 days ago. I've been getting some bodywork done but nothing has felt so right(timing wise) as getting on the table for a good hour massage this morning. The ribs are in place but it's just the small little muscles that need to heal before I'll be feeling 100%.

As for the legs. They're poppin'. I missed the workout on Monday, which was a three hour group ride, but I figured I could still get it in today which is a rest day on the schedule. I've had plenty of that this last week. I took off up the coast with my friend Matt and we both agreed to keep it mellow. I had a hard time holding back. My legs were so fresh I wanted to eat em. If I could only feel like that on race day. I did manage to keep it in check averaging like 200-225W until we hit torrey grade on the way back. I was riding really comfortably at 275 W until a couple of riders passed by me 1/4 of the way up. One was either a Kodak Gallery rider or a really good imposter (even riding the KUOTA). I was feeling really good so I took the bait and bridged about a 100m gap and felt great riding at 400W! (I rarely see that number). I easily caught his wheel and stayed on at 14mph and 340 W for the rest of the climb, about 4 minutes. THAT was fun. We took it easy the rest of the way home for a total of 2 hours 50 minutes. It feels good to get the lungs expanding again.
I'll check in with Jim later today and go over the schedule for the rest of the month. There are some aggressive swims and runs this week and I'm not sure how that'll feel. The movement of the pec's are very closely tied to the ribs and any bouncing of the muscle or pushing and pulling still reminds me of the injury. I think I'll try a compression top on the run and just give the swimming a go. There is still plenty of time to get in top form for San Diego International. I'm looking forward to this home town race and having my family there.
I did have a chance to recon some sick mountain bike routes this weekend. This time in the 4x golf cart next time on the epic.

plenty of options, rideable single track climb/ fire road climb to los pinos

some fast fire roads/ portion of 15 mile loop

Lake Morena Valley. ST trail head. nobody around.

No comments: