Friday, May 11, 2007

Shrugging it off. Back on the haas.

Today I have a rest day and time to finally finish all my unpacking, laundry and plan for the next race. Wildflower took a lot out of me. Not only the racing but the driving, planning and packing, driving, unpacking. On top of that I got a serious blowout on the drive home which puts my camper out of comission for however long it takes me to find the time to get my tire fixed. Check this out.


Damn lucky I didn't crash, or completely lose the tire.

The training this last week has been tough. More so mentally but also physically. I knew it would be hard doing back to back hard "A" races but especially hard getting psyched up after a slow race last weekend. I won't quit my day job.

Tuesday

was the first day back to training and included a good active recovery swim. I had a pool workout but couldn't make it before 2:00 when they close the pool for polo. I decided to get back into open water as I can always work on that based on my race performance. I still got in my main set of 4x300 (5.5 minutes) (15s) in the context of a 56 minute swim. The swim felt strong (since I didn't go hard enough in the race) and I focused on some heavy kicking intervals to get the legs moving. Water conditions were excellent and the air was better 75 and sunny.


Wednesday


I had a pool swim and did 2600m

MS 1x800 Tpace +5 (1:45's), 8x100 descending to T pace.

It was weird as I kind of was pushing to maintain 1:45's then when I did the 100's It was hard to swim slow enough to descend from 1:45. I felt strong throughout the second half and did my last 100 at 1:35 easy enough.

Later in the afternoon was a 45 minute trainer ride including a 6 minute TT at race effort. I considered this some sort of punishment for a bad bike leg and was all business as there is no patience for screwing around on the trainer. I had a good 20 min warm up that I use for Time Trialing and then slid up on the saddle and hammered. I was definitely feeling the weekend. My best avg. power on the road is 298 W for 6 min. Here's how this one went:


Avg Watts: 285

Avg HR (last 3 mins) : 169

Max HR: 174

Not bad but I know I can do better. You can see on the graph a little panic with 2 minutes to go. Steady man...relax! One note is that I haven't zeroed my torque since I changed the battery. I did this after the ride so we'll see when I do this workout next week if there is a discernable difference. My hunch is that it was reading low for power...I hope.

Thursday

I went to the track for some intervals. On tap was 6x800m. I was both looking forward to this and dreading it as my legs were still a little sore and tight. I did a mile warmup, stretched did 4x50m strides and hit it. Here's how it went:

1 2:52 HR150/167 max R3:03 HR135/133

2 3:04 HR162/176 max R3:10 HR127/139

3 3:01 HR166/177 max R3:14 HR135/142

4 3:02 HR168/181 max R3:20 HR124/142

5 2:59 HR 167/182 max R3:10 HR 136/145

6 2:58 HR 168/183 max

These were fricking tough, but I loved it by the time I got home. I did a good job keeping the first 3 steady once I figured out the pacing. My plan was to let it out on the last three. Look what happened HR max jumped but times couldn't get back to number one. 4 had a slow 400 so I made it up but the last two were all out.. positive splits to prove it. At least I didn't leave much out there. Still pretty slow stuff TURTLE. I'd be dreaming to run a 5:45 1600 this year.

Came home to grab my Zenith and head out for an open water workout with Jim's crew. I was up for this and going to work my ass off. We did several entry/exits then intervals around the buoys. 2x250m with a 10s beach run and then one 175. I needed to work on my drafting and turns but I ended up leading every interval only to get passed at the finish on the last two. I could feel the guy on my feet but there was not enough time to let him by then surge again past him. He swam smarter. picked me out to draft and capitalized. I had some good roundings going under the buoy but some pretty sloppy dolfining to finish the intervals. BELLY FLOP. I also am still sighting right on top of the buoys. Note to self. sight outside dummy.

Looking forward to preriding Temecula on Saturday. I should be feeling strong again by then and hopefully won't get dropped too hard. I just got the Epic tuned so I should be ready to go. I'm going to bring a camera to jog the memory but also should be fun to post.

No comments: