Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Ready to Race...almost.

Today is the last full workout before heading off to Lake San Antonio for wildflower Olympic. This is the moment I've been waiting for. The paradox is revealed when I think about it. Everything is at stake, but there is nothing at stake. No matter how the race goes, I have already done well. The reasons I'm on the course take away a lot of the pressure and allow me to enjoy the moment. All the sacrifice, the discipline, the endurance of pain and pleasure are all part of the success I can appreciate in the presence of participation. That is not to say my personal goals for the event are irrellevant, but merely a reflection of the effort I put in every day. I will race hard and race smart and have visualized my measurable success. I am really looking forward to putting my mind and body to the test. I am prepared.

As for the training.

Tuesday was a full day off. I went for a weekly massage and had some work done on my low back. It kind of flared up yesterday but it's feeling 95% after some good rest and additional PT last night. I was thinking about getting an adjustment but do not want to mess with it if its feeling better today. I did a lot of packing and am still not done. Last minute tweeking and buttoning up some work has put me a little behind schedule.

Monday I did an open water swim with the tri club. I had a really good swim. I went with a group that swam to the 1/4 mile buoy from the shores. I wanted to use this opportunity to swim in a pack and practice a few things like drafting in several positions. One problem. There was no pack. I waited for half the group to go and would chase down the leaders to get on some feet. I quickly made it through and saw three at the front swimming 5m apart. I got on one pair and it was apparent this person was swimming out to sea. I decided to go alone. Not even swimming hard I was 3rd at the buoy. While waiting to regroup I did some buoy turns while others chatted. I thought about organizing some group turns but for some reason I didn't. On the way back I wanted to heat it up. I started at the back. Same thing. I was sighting back to where we started but before I knew it everyone was inside. I hammered home feeling like I could go forever. Really felt strong with another two gears available. Definite confidence booster.
Total time: 50 minues

Sunday was a short 60 min run and a 30 min open swim. I was really tired. I didn't sleep that well so I don't know if it was fatigue from training or lack of sleep. I made it through the run and was excited to get in the water after. I swam at the cliffs from NOBES channel to garbage stairs and back. My shoulder was starting to flare up so I took it pretty easy on this one. It felt a little better on the way back but I'm glad it felt strong on Monday. There was some surf so I had some fun going through some witewash and swimming past some guys in the lineup. They look at me like I'm either crazy or crazy. I swam through a couple of kelp patties which is good to practice for crowds keeping the arms moving and utilizing some power. I'm beginning to realize this is a strong point for me. I tend to have a good bit of power when I need it. Sustaining that is a different question. total time 43 minutes. Home around sunset for some homemade Minestrone soup.

Saturday I did an easy 2 hour ride. It felt really good to ride in an easier gear for a change. I rode pretty much the whole time in the aero trying to keep the cadence up around 95-100 really focusing on my pedalling. I wasn't feeling all that tired and could easily have hammered but I managed some discipline and enjoyed the ride. I took the only flat route around out mission valley and turned around at Qualcomm stadium.

Today I have some speedwork in the pool and a quick 90 minute ride. I'm gonna go out on my race wheels to break in the bearings. I talked to matt about the stiffness in the rear hub and he double checked it telling me the seals are pretty tight and could use some breaking in. I'll check it this evening and go from there. Not what I was hoping for but I think it will work out. Off to the pool.

1 comment:

Jim Vance said...

Dude...You're ready. Don't waste your race this week. Do just enough!

Good luck, I'll see you there.