Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Ahhh..hill repeats.

today was hectic. i had to take my car for service. 7:30 am. i decided to ride home from the dealers and do my workout by my house. Miramar road is absolutely gnarly. this town is getting crowded. ride home was warm up for todays bike workout of:
4 x 3 minutes to HR zone 5b.

out of the saddle on 6-8% grade.


Luckily i live on a hill about 300 ft elevation. crazy hills in all directions. This one is a classic. one we've cursed ever since i was a kid. a couple of steps and a change from probaby 4-10%. 10 at the last 45s. very little traffic.
it worked out great to be about just about 3 min. four solid efforts. felt like i could have done more. i timed it so that i could get this workout in before my weekly massage. kinda nice.
Average power for each interval was:

384 W

363

334

327


I never really got the HR up to 175 let alone 180 but those wattages are definitely in zone 5. that's the cool thing about training with power. the interval is to shart to overcome cardiac lag. instant work feedback with power meter.

One other not is that I was definitely feeling a bit of fatigue in my arms on these efforts. I'm gonna try and get in at least one strength training session per week for legs and upper body. i definitely am going to need the strength for Xterra West.

my plan was to get a swim in before heading to work. i had a one hour aerobic session planned but the masters sessions are cancelled at the JCC for holiday. i checked the ocean and it looked about as good as it gets. got in for a little 2 mile swim. about 55 mins. broken up into 5 min warm up. couple of stroke drills. 10 mins siting every 10 strokes. the way back was straight swim focus on streamline and breathing with the head down. Felt awesome after the swim and took a little veggie sandwich and spinach salad for lunch.
little lentil soup and tofu for protein.
Yesterday was a day off. Felt pretty good, not to sore from sunday. left knee was a little. acl side.


1 comment:

jameson said...

killer day. I can't wait to do hill repeats with my powertap. All I have done so far is recovery rides <143 watts. open water swim on Sunday?