Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Rolling with the punches.

I was definitely feeling the weekend on Monday. Just feeling like crap. I rarely feel more than tired. It almost felt like I was coming down with something. I was supposed to do a recovery swim with the TCSD monday group. I weighed the options and decided that getting in the water in the evening might risk really coming down with something. I think I made the right choice as I woke up feeling great on Tuesday. I made a concerted effort to refuel my body. Lots of protein, parsley, vitamin c, minerals, glutamine and electrolytes.


Tuesday was a great day. I had an aerobic swim session planned. Jim wants me to swim masters on all occasions but the timing really messes with my schedule. I feel masters is great for Threshold work but aerobic sessions are just great on my own. The Masters sessions I usually go to usually have people swimming with fins in the slower lanes (aerobic for me). I hate that. I went to Coronado as it's pretty much always set up 50m. I think there is a huge benefit to swimming long course. better endurance, rhythm and ability to really work on distance per stroke, just to mention a few.

Speaking of distance per stroke, this is something I've really been working on. Aerobic sets are a great opportunity to focus on it. My best (taking into acount both DPS and pace) so far is 38 cycles/100m at 1:45 pace. Yesterdays workout was:



6x100 warm up
300 drill
1000 straight swim 25s neg split
500 pull
500 paddles
200 cool down

3100 m total


In the afternoon I headed up to the local college track for some cruise intervals. The school has one of the worlds nicest tracks. On a bluff overlooking the Ocean, breeze and great surfaces.
I ran over easy did some drills then did my workout:

1 mile warm up
3 x 1 mile @ 10k pace+ :10 w/ 200m jog RI
1 mile cool down


I am not good at pacing especially around a track. I went out way to fast first lap was 1:30 then I struggled to moderate all these intervals. Here's how they went.


mile 1: 6:37 HR 152 avg
mile 2: 6:38 HR 172 avg
mile 3: 6:34 HR 178 avg


Not exactly 10k+10s but it feels good to get some consistent speed. I might just be getting faster since March because the intervals definitely felt in control. I don't think it blew the workout we'll see if Jim comments. One of these days I want to do a 1600m TT. I'd like to see what would happen.


Max HR was 185. It was good to see that I was able to push the HR up there without feeling like an all out effort. I don't know what it really means. I usually only see these kind of numbers on hills. I thought this was my max HR.


I cooled down watching the college milers do their workout. flying by. kind of inspiring.

Last night was the first race Nightmare I've had in a long time. Late for my wave, couldn't find my wetsuit. Didn't eat anything before the race and had no bottles on the bike. pretty funny! Wildflower is coming! I think I should have these things covered.

Looking forward to getting on the MTB this afternoon.

1 comment:

Jim Vance said...

Solid...No better way to learn than to push it early. Well done Tom!