Monday, April 9, 2007

Hell'a weekend

This weekend was great. Tough but great. Saturday was a brick workout at Fiesta Island. Basically a 2.5 hour workout with the main set being 3 x 4 miles bike (race pace) w/1 mile race pace off the bike 2 mile recovery. The weather was crap. drizzle, wind, and crowds. I forgot there was a race that morning. TritonMan sprint tri. I love races but I was a little disappointed to have to change my routine till they cleared out. I did get to see my coach Jim emcee the raffle post-race and put some people through some classic stuff to score the swag. Killer stuff by the way. The warm up was less than ideal but my intervals were solid. Bike average wattage was solid and ran surprisingly well off the bike. Just have to be a little more patient. Still negative split each run.



interval wattage/run time:



244 Watts/ 6:34

243 Watts/ 6:40

253 Watts/ 6:24


I was feeling like I wanted to do one more. I think that's a good sign. Went home and packed to go to the mountains for Easter.

Easter Sunday I got in an epic run. Left around 8:00 am for a 1:45 zone 1-2 with some fartlek in the last 30 min. It was a little more than I bargained for. The route I chose actually took me through about 2000 vertical feet. It was a route out to the main gate then once around the lake. I knew there were hills but had only driven and rode this route. It's a LOT different on a run at
4000 feet. I spent way too much time in Zone 3 and 4. I did manage to get some surges in but I considered the hilly portions part of the fartlek as it was there in terms of HR. They were just a little early in the run. I was feeling it at 90 min's. Did not notice the altitude except on the longer hills. I wonder if there is some training benefit to a little 02 debt. I was pretty much done after this run. Managed to soak the legs in the 45 degree jacuzzi post-run which felt great. Indulged in a lottle brunch including waffles, egg frittata and potatoes. Garmin said it was a 1890 calorie run. got to refuel.

The views were awesome. I didn't see another person, just cows, turkeys, deer, and ducks. It was definitely a spiritual experience, fitting on Easter.

2 comments:

jameson said...

killer stuff man, but one thing.. did you take a photo of your monitor for the Garmin TC graph?

what time are we swimming on Sunday?

barndog said...

yep. I shortcut that one till i get it figured out.