Wednesday, April 4, 2007

In the 'hood



Today was a really busy day. I knew getting my swim in was going to be the challenge for the day. I had a 1 hour aerobic swim and a 1 hour hilly run zones 1-4 planned. I ended up with only enough time to squeeze in the run. I'm not happy with that but it happens. I might be able to get my swim in tomorrow. I ended up having a really fun run. My coach, Jim Vance, has always said to use your resources. In this case it happens to be my neighboorhood. As i've mentioned before there are lots of hills.

I had an idea to just go out and have fun and check out the 'hood'. My plan was to warm up for about 10 mins then drop into some hills. Up one, over on the cross street then down on the next. I did this for about the middle 30-40 mins and then finished with an off road portion and then about a 200 foot climb. Total elevation gain was around 1000 ft. in about 12 different hills.

I felt really good. I think racing three weekends in a row has really got me used to some good intensity. I bounced back to a solid pace after each hilly portion. The only problem I had was the outside of my left foot started to hurt. This foot was badly crushed and I'm lucky to have it let alone run on it. I'll get into the details sometime later. It felt like it was pinching in my shoe somehow, but when I got home my wife, a Physical therapist, checked it out and thought it felt like one of the fatty pads was inflamed underneath the fifth metatarsal. I'm just gonna keep an eye and some ice on it. Today I have a 30 min run, then an open water workout with Jim and some other athletes, I love these. I'm gonna try and get an early swim in to make up for yesterday. should be a good day.
The whole length of this scar blew open during my accident.

No comments: