Friday, April 13, 2007

Rest em.



















Man it was windy yesterday. Perfect for kiting, bad for riding (the bike). I'm looking forward to some less extreme weather. That's enough whining. I had three workouts on the plan. A two hour "hill climbing"session, a 45 minute easy run and a group swim workout. Up front I didn't get to the swim group. That pisses me off. These are great. I flat out did not have a window. It got shut on me when I had to bridge mom and the baby sitter. These are the challenges that I'm balancing in my training and thought they would be more influential in the blog, but I've decided to focus more on the places and data. It's far more satisfying. I knew I was short on time so I went local and picked some long and short hills to do. My goal was to spend at least 10% of the time in zones 4-5b. I ended up doing more like 20%..stoked. I rode to the tidepools hill and wanted to focus on this one. Put in three solid efforts and see what I could do. This hill is just under a mile and averages 10-12%. Wildflower short course has several hills that are similar and these results should work well for pacing, at least for the one out of T1. I was about a minute faster than any previous effort at this hill, on the first one 4:30. The wind was helping sometimes so I looked at the average power:

interval 1: 314W 4:30
interval 2: 323W 4:33
interval 3: 308W 4:40 (rode this one in the 23)

damn happy with that consistency.


I looked at the graph from just about a year ago. Just a little difference!
I kicked it up at the top with another quick out of the saddle just to vary the intensity. not bad either. I went to find some shorter hills after
and attacked the hills in between.
Here's a look at those. I was surprised at what I had in my legs having ridden pretty hard on the MTB on Wednesday. But at this point I was feeling pretty beat up by the wind. It's amazing how that can test your nerves and fatigue you. I was over the wind and decided to take the run indoors. I headed to the gym after a little recovery food and plopped on the treadmill. Yikes. How do people do that? Easy :45 felt like an hour but my legs were still kind of there. Got out of there and hit the daddy action. Family first. Looking forward to putting my legs up and catching up on work. There's a lot of it before monday. A few lighter days on the sched'y coming up so I should be alright.

No comments: