Friday, April 20, 2007

Two different days.

Yesterday was a really weird day. I wasn't feeling really that tired but mentally not there. I started doubting the day and struggled to make it to the pool. I should have gone to 12:00 masters session at JCC but I needed to get out of the pool, take my bike into B+L and get my 90 minute ride done by 4:00. I didn't want to wait and hit the pool in Coronado at 11:00 am.

Usually I feel better once I get in the pool and get my warm up in, but I didn't. I really felt tired. My legs were burning, even though I have a mellow kick, and I struggled to get through the 5x100 warm up. I wanted to get out. I did some kicking trying to get some fresh blood to the legs and followed up with 300m of drills, figuring let's build this workout from the bottom up get balanced, and relaxed. It worked okay but part way through the main set (first 500) my left shoulder (tares major) started to hurt, something was up. I changed my plan (4x500) and put the pull buoy on and just took the pressure off my shoulder by swimming real easy 200's and starting my pull a little later. this worked pretty well and I swam out 5x200 on 2:00 staying focused and just trying to put my time in the water. I mangaged 2500m and got the hell out of there.

I got some lunch and they screwed up my order. Another reason why almost always eat at home or the Co-op. I cussed as I scraped mayo and pulled bacon from my chicken on bagel sandwich. The only thing they got right was the bagel part. Off to B+L bikes.

Matt pulled my BB apart and noticed a lot of drag on the bearings. Turns out he installed bearings for Generation II Dura Ace BB, mine was first generation. I guess there is about a .75 mm difference in bearing size. Perfect. The bearings were just crammed in there barely turning. Think Shimano Exage after sitting in the salt water for about a month. That makes me feel better about my wattage on Wed. He threw the BB away, installed a new DA Gen II bottom bracket and told me I'd have the new bearings in by next weekend. Whatever! at this point I'm thinking What The F...?

I left there with at 2:30 I had till four to get in a 90 min ride with details. I decided to jam home throw the Kuota on the trainer and get in what I could. The trainer is great for getting some quality work done with limited time. I got 60 minutes in including 3 sets of 5 x 12-15s jumps. I didn't feel great but it did feel good to hit all the shit I had to get done by 4:00.

It's amazing how caught up I can get in the (negative) details of the day. Grinding away to get in my workouts that regularly give me so much pleasure and satisfaction. That's life.

Today was going to be a different day. The wife and baby going out of town to see relatives. The weekend is mine for the first time in 8 months. I am going to take care of a lot of "business" in the next 72 hours.

I had a 30 min run and was planning to head to the Ranch for a 2 day training camp. I looked at the doppler radar and saw huge rain on the way and temps in the high 30's. Maybe I'll leave tomorrow. It started to rain at the house so I decided to hit the indoor track (dreadmill) at the gym. This was the best session I've had on the tready. 30 mins with some 45 second surges to 6:30 pace. I finally had a clear shot at a mirror that I could see myself from the side. My coach, Jim shared some great technique info with me to help my running. I put it all to the test. Great Stuff! I had a blast.
I also packed up the video camera and housing to figure out what my stroke is looking like these days (shoulder stress).

I've never tried to get footage by myself but I rigged up the housing with two bungees to the lane lines and 10lb weight to hold it underwater. It worked great. They have a short 20 yard indoor pool at my gym which is perfect for this kind of thing. I filmed from three angles and think I got some good stuff. I'll download the footage tomorrow and see if I can post some captures and comments. I've waited a while to find the spare time to do some R+D.

Today was a good day!

1 comment:

Jim Vance said...

Dude...you McGuyvered the camera! AWESOME!